How do I make a claim for tenant damage?

If your tenant is still living in your property or has vacated and you know where they live you can attempt to reach agreement using a pre-action® ADR® claim before completing an N1 Claim Form to use the small claims track of the County Court. You can make a single money claim for rent arrears and damage to your property.

If your tenant has already vacated your property and you do not know their whereabouts you will need to trace them before proceeding. You need a current residence with postcode to make a court claim. If you cannot find an absconded tenant's new address, and you have evidence of having tried to find them, you can ask the Court for permission to address the claim to your tenant's work address.

[return to claimant scenarios]