What is a County Court Judgment (CCJ)?

In England and Wales, money judgments are issued in the county courts, so they are called County Court Judgments (CCJs).

The Court decides whether there really is a debt to pay. If there is, they issue a judgment.

"Judgment" is awarded by the Judge at the end of a hearing.

County Court Judgments (CCJs) are legal decisions handed down by county courts that set out how a debt should be repaid.

The CCJ will specify a monthly amount that the "judgment debtor" has to pay. If the "judgment creditor" is not happy with the offer of payment or if the judgment debtor does not respond in time the judgment creditor can ask for the full amount immediately, called "judgment forthwith".

However, if the judgment specifies a monthly amount and the judgment debtor maintains this no further action should be taken.

If the judgment debtor does not maintain the payments or the judgment creditor asks for a judgment forthwith which the judgment debtor cannot pay, the creditor can ask the courts to enforce the judgment.

What happens when a County Court Judgment is not repaid?

When a judgment debtor fails to pay the judgment against them within a month of judgment their details are registered as a County Court Judgment (CCJ) against them on The Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines.

The Register of Judgment, Orders and Fines is a statutory public Register run on behalf of the Ministry of Justice by Registry Trust Ltd (RTL), access to which is open to all.

What happens to the judgment debtor if they do repay the debt?

Banks and other lenders can do a CCJ check against the CCJ register when deciding whether to offer credit. Getting a mortgage with a CCJ or a loan with a CCJ is difficult. Even if the judgment debtor gets credit, they will end up paying a higher interest rate.

How do you pay a County Court Judgment?

Payment is made directly to the individual or organisation that took the case to court.

How long does a County Court Judgment last?

County court judgments (CCJs) stay on the register for six years. The judgment will only be removed if it is paid within a month – if paid later, the judgment debtor can have the Register marked as "satisfied".

We can transfer your CCJ to the High Court for enforcement

Any County Court Judgment (CCJ) for over £600 (including costs) may be transferred to the High Court for enforcement by a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO).

We understand the procedure and carry out the whole process for you.

Simply register your CCJ information and we will immediately begin the transfer process for you. The £60.00 court fee is recoverable from the debtor.

Register CCJ