Cheque bounced what can I do?

If you have the cheque and it does not state on the top "do not represent" you can take it back to your bank and ask them to "represent" it i.e. put it through the banking system again (pick the week of the month that you think money is most likely to be in the account).

Banks often tell you that cheques over 6 months old are no longer valid, however this is at their discretion and legally a cheque is valid for 6 years unless she has put a "stop" on it. So push your bank if it is older than 6 months.

Cheques backed by a cheque guarantee card cannot be "stopped" - so always remember to take the cheque guarantee number if the sum is smaller than your invoice.

If this is not successful then you should be chasing the non-payer for the money and considering taking them to Court. Their bounced cheque is evidence of them intending to pay.

[return to claimant scenarios]