What is judgment by default?

If you have claimed a specified amount you must first wait until the date by which the defendant must reply to the claim has passed. After this date you can ask the court to order the defendant to pay the amount you have claimed. This is known as asking the court to "enter judgment by default".

[return to questions and answers]