How do I stop a court claim?

For whatever reason you do not want to continue with your Court claim you should inform the Court, in writing, as soon as possible.

This procedure is called "discontinuance".

Only the claimant can discontinue a claim using this procedure.

You should write to the Court asking them to "discontinue" your claim. Give them the claim number, your name and the full name(s) of the defendant.

N279 Notice of discontinuance

Always send a copy to the defendant or the defendant's solicitor.

[return to questions and answers]