How do I make a small claim for infringement of copyright, registered trademarks or patents?

Claims for intellectual property (IP) cases including unregistered designs can be made using the small claims track of the County Court for claims of less than £5,000, or simple claims up to £25,000 at the allocation of the court.

IP claims are heard at the Patents County Court (PCC) based in The Rolls Building London where, using the small claims track, legal representation is not required. Claimants do not have to travel to the capital as telephone hearings are available and, as with money claims, summary decisions can be made on written evidence alone.

The High Court is used for the most expensive and complex cases where the payouts are unlimited and Patents and lawsuits involving plant varieties follow other procedures in the PCC.

[return to questions and answers]