Does there have to be a hearing for a money claim?

No. If the judge wants to deal with your case without a hearing, you will be sent a Notice of Allocation (no hearing). The notice will tell you that the judge thinks that your case can be dealt without a hearing, using only written evidence. The notice will ask you to tell the court if you object, and will give you a date by which you must reply. If you or the other party objects, your case may be dealt with at a hearing. If you do not reply by the date given, the judge may treat your lack of reply as consent.

For most cases referred to the small claims track the District Judge will attempt to reach a decision without a hearing (on paper).

[return to questions and answers]