Can I afford to go to court?

You do not need to use a solicitor if you are using the small claims track (small claims court) but you will have to pay a fee to the court for issuing the claim form and additional fees if your claim is disputed. There are also fees to pay if your judgment needs enforcing, but these are added to the debt owed.

You should consider the amount of your time it will require, can you afford to spend this time pursuing your debt? If it is not disputed then your claim can usually be dealt with online and by telephone and post. If it is disputed you may need to go to court for a hearing.

[return to questions and answers]